Southern Illinois University Carbondale - Residence Hall Packing List
WHAT NOT BRING - Unless otherwise noted, the items below are prohibited.
1. Climate Control: air conditioners and heaters
a. Prohibited Items:
charcoal and propane grills (residents may use SIU provided grills located in residential areas but must
use self‐lighting charcoal)
hot plates and hot pots
stoves (propane, butane and kerosene)
toasters or any item with an exposed coil or heating element (toasters are allowed in apartments with a kitchen)
NuWave ovens and cooktops
3. Connectivity: antennas, satellite dishes (satellite dishes are allowed at Evergreen Terrace with prior authorization from the area office), short‐ wave radio transmitting equipment, splitters and wireless routers
4. Incendiary: candles or anything with a wick, incense, fog and smoke machines (within the building), combustible materials and flammable liquids; including but not limited to: liquid lighter fluid, kerosene, engine fluid, solvents, gasoline and diesel fuel
5. Lighting: black lights, halogen lamps, lava lamps, oil lamps and strobe lights
6. Miscellaneous: liquid‐filled balloons, subwoofers, waterbeds and water pillows, empty alcohol containers, washers/dryers, storage sheds, pools, playground equipment, non‐university locks or latches, live trees, flower beds, gardens, dishwashers, contact paper, clothes lines, pianos (pianos are permitted in Evergreen Terrace ground floor apartments without basements, provided resident doesn’t damage floor/hallway when moving and observes quiet hours).
7. Pets: University policy does not permit any pets from residents or visitors unless otherwise listed below. Violation of this policy will result in immediate removal of the pet and may jeopardize the residents’ residency
8. Weapons: Ammunition, billy clubs or batons, bows and arrows, brass knuckles, firearms, fireworks, guns of any type (including air soft, CO2,BB, nerf, paintball, pellet, stun, toy, water), knives (blades
over 3"), metal‐tipped darts, nun‐chuks, paintball markers, sling shots, swords and throwing stars
For more information, visit: https://bit.ly/3eOx1Kg
College Checklists, a School Family Media service, provides checklists to help students find and shop for everything they need for college. School Family Media is not affiliated with or sponsored by Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
who we are
College Checklists, brought to you by TeacherLists, provides students with the exact checklist for their specific college plus convenient one-click shopping. By knowing exactly what to bring and what not to bring—and easily getting everything they need—students arrive prepared.